We have to say right away: we love these wicked additions to urban landscape - the weirder the better, less boring gray expanses and zombie-spawning parking lots! But we have to ask ourselves, what sort of oxygen these artists were inhaling, and what sort of psychedelic lunch they were eating before going on with something like this (see more than 30 examples below, some maybe slightly nsfw!).
We number each sculpture, and let you vote in the comments which one is the most unforgettable, disturbing and bizarre! As for me, I am going to erect a metal scarecrow on the roof of my building to scare off police helicopters, or build a nutty shrine for squirrels in my backyard, all the while fighting off local zombing...er, "zoning" by-law enforcers.
Should we start with the SuperLambBanana? Sure! -
1. Liverpool, England
2. People, shot full of holes, appropriately across L.A. Police Department.
3. A little overweight, Erevan, Armenia
4. San Jose, Costa Rica.
5. "Unfinished City of Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Project
6. The Lady Fish, San Francisco
7. Disabled statue on Trafalgar Square in London
8. Finger sculpture, similar to "Le Pouce" one, in France
9. City of Wilmington's tribute to the 1898 Wilmington Race Riot
10. "The Angel of the North" in Gateshead, England
11. Happy in Chattanooga, Tennessee
12. Skull involved in non-traditional activity, Prague
13. Nameless example somewhere in Russia
14. Don't come close :)
15. Armenia, Erevan
16. Nazgul is spotted in Prague, the same one sits in Salzburg, Austria
17. Instead of surveillance camera...
18. David Cerny's classic "Pissing Men", Prague
19. Monument to Franz Kafka, Prague
20. Heavenly angel, resting... Prague again
21. Chattanooga, Tennessey
22. Petrozavodsk, Republic of Karelia, Russia
23. A guy and a horse melting into a blob - but rather, this is Baron Münchhausen, pulling himself up;
24. Watering problem solved, Wateringen, Holland
25. Resting from trouble, in Moscow
26. More Russian characters
27. A Street Sweeper, by Tzereteli
28. Try to sit on this bench (street art by Brad Downey)
29. ...in the meantime something big and round is getting ready to fall; Barcelona, Spain
30. Turin, Italy
31. Illustration to the "Fox and Crow" fable by Krylov
32. A kiss in Kharkov, Ukraine
33. A fat, fat pigeon, Raffle Place, Singapore
34. Ear creature in Cologne, Germany
35. Buddies, in Cheltenham, England
36. Some parenting angst, in Vigelands Park, Oslo - Norway
37. Holey umbrella in Minsk, Belarus
38. Bathers in Singapore
39. Flying families, Moscow...
40. and overturned horses (by David Cerny, Prague)
41. Urban guys resting
42. and working... in Stockholm, Sweden, right outside Berzelii Park
43. Statue in Hungary, definitely having issues...
44. Steampunk character, "Birth Machine Baby" by H. R. Giger
45. Spectacular urban "fountain" in Karlsruhe, Germany
46. Bicycle in concrete, in Sarajevo.
47. FDR Memorial in Washington, DC
48. Downtown Salt Lake City, showing "Survival of the Fattest"
49. Anatomy lesson in Manhattan
50. These ones are classics... Melbourne, Australia
51. Los Angeles, California
52. These are probably less known: "Cry in the Wilderness" in Minsk
53. and playful sculptures, unknown location
54. Lenin having a break from politics
55. Mermaid milking herself, Bologna, Italy
56. and a guy, not really having a brain, looks like...
57 . This is an entirely different kind of street art (Germany), simply brilliant !!
This is only a first part of projected (truly monumental) series, so send us tips and images of whatever sculptural weirdness you spotted in public places !
Visit 13above For More Fun